Here are 10 ways to change the home:
- Create large white spaces with accents of strong, positive colors.
- Knock down walls that aren’t structural and open up spaces.
- Buy less but better furniture.
- Use materials that are easy to clean and that age well. Plastic floors (laminates, vinyl sheeting, or artificial rubber) are lightweight, inexpensive, and wear well.
- Don’t be a pack rat: Recycle newspapers and magazines as soon as you’re done reading them. Better yet, read them online.
- Use color to express yourself. Don’t be afraid of that bright orange chair. Paint your wall lime green. Be brave when it comes to carpets, countertops, and tables. Color is beautiful.
- Use biodegradable and natural cleaning products.
- When you buy something for your home, get rid of something else. Seek balance.
- Make your space reconfigurable.
- Embrace technology.”
—Karim Rashid, Karim Rashid Inc., New York City